Saturday, October 18, 2014

Hoppy Pale Ale by Reidybrews

Hoppy Pale Ale by Reidybrews
Youtube Link

Appearance:
The brew pours a beautiful burnt copper colour with a finger width off white/tan head. Has a slight bit of chill/hop haze but otherwise a very good looking beer, the colour is fantastic, deep burnt copper with bright orange highlights. Head retention is not quite there, head falls away quite quickly but does leave a nice off white/tan cap.

Aroma:
Quite a sweet smelling beer. I am picking up some pine/dankness/tangelo/sweet hop aroma. Has quite a sweet malt aroma coming off the beer, which might be the caramalts used or it might be a bit of diacetyl, or a bit of both. The sweet malt over powers the hop aromas just a bit and makes the beer more malt dominate than hop. I think it has a good hop combo, but the sweet malts need to be reduce just a little to let the hops shine more.

Flavour:
Off the bat the beer is quite sweet, the bitterness is there but needs some more "oomph". Has quite a gentle dryness on the palate with a nutty aftertaste. I think maybe a British yeast was used, as it has some fruity esters and gentle dry finish. The only off flavour I can pick up is a bit of diacetyl, which gets amplified by the sweetness of the beer. The hops are there, but the sweet malt is dominating them. The pineyness and dankness is there but quite subtle. For a 6.5% beer it is going down smooth!

Mouthfeel:
Mouth feels good, could do with a tad bit more carbonation, unless this is going for a British type ale. Light to medium body, leaning more to medium than light, if it had a little bit more carbonation the body would be more medium and suite the beer.

Overall:
Overall the beer is good, it feels to be a more of a English pale ale than American, with more malt forward than hop. My personal preference says to me that this beer, as a American Pale Ale, with more hop forward, clean yeast character and dry finish would be amazing. I love the hop combination that Reidybrews has in this beer, I want them to stand out more. The beer is a tad bit sweet for me, which is not a bad thing if you like that, personally I like my beers a bit dryer. Everything I mentioned is my personal preference, the only thing I could pick up in the beer was a bit of diacetyl, which comes across as a sweet butterscotch flavour, which all beers have to a certain degree, which even my own beers suffer from, but is easy remedied with a D rest.
The beer is a solid brew. Malt forward with a sweet malt and a backup of piney/dank hops. I am enjoying it on a hot spring Sunday and it s going down a treat. Thank you very much to Reidybrews and hopefully he will send a few more my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment