Sunday, October 5, 2014

Casket Ale (Mosaic SMASH) v1.0 Homebrew Review

Appearance:
Pure white head with a golden to coppery colour. Has a bit of chill haze, but clearing up slowly. Will have to work on the clarity on a later version. Has some decent lacing for a single malt beer, with small tight white bubbles.

Aroma:
First off you get a lot of mango and tropical fruit on the nose. The malt is there, but quite subtle. The aroma is good, but I think the hops could pop more and be more distinct.

Flavour:
Mango and tropical fruit. This is a hop dominate beer, with mangrove and tropical fruit mix being the more distinct flavour. There is a nice malty flavour on the after taste. Even with the hops being quite distinct, there could be more defined and could pop a bit more.

Body:
Medium to light body, decently carbonated which helps give a decent mouthfeel that keeps the flavours moving.

Overall:
This is the first in my series for the casket ale, and I think it's off to a great start. I don't detect any off flavours, except maybe some diacytl if I really look. It's easy drinking and very moorish. The hop aroma and flavour is very summer like, with mango and mixed tropical fruit. The flavour is very hop forward with the fruity flavours matching the aroma. I feel that as good as the hop flavour/aroma is, they could be more distinct and have more pop. So what an I say about the beer? I like it. It will be interesting to see how the changes will do to this beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment